U.S. House passes D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program
Jacqueline Cooper, president of Black Alliance for Educational Options, is urging the U.S. Senate to support the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program which has cleared the U.S. House.
“Congress stood up for low-income and working-class Black families in Washington, D.C. by reauthorizing the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program," Coopers said in a press statement. "The scholarship program has helped thousands of children get on a path to educational excellence who would otherwise continue to struggle in underperforming and under resourced schools in the District.
“We believe parents are best equipped at making education decision for their children. The scholarship program offers another high-quality educational option for them to weigh. Since its inception in 2004, the scholarship program has successfully awarded more than 6,400 scholarships to deserving families. This decision by the House will ensure even more parents and their children will benefit from the program in the future.
“We now urge the Senate to pass the House version of the bill and stand with the children of D.C.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More districtchronicles News Articles
Recent districtchronicles News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DISTRICTCHRONICLES
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DISTRICTCHRONICLES NEWS
- DHCD Acts to Preserve 63 Affordable Housing Units in Wards 4 and 8
- Mayor Bowser releases housing report
- District Holds First-Ever State Diploma Commencement for Residents Who...
- Here are Six Black Republicans that Trump Should Be Talking to about Cabinet...
- County Launches Dementia Friendly Initiative
- County Seeks Volunteers to Work With Victims of Sexual Assault
- Empowering Kids to Combat the 'Trump Effect'
RECENT DISTRICTCHRONICLES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program