Wizards waive injured Mason
Wizards G No. 8 Roger Mason underwent season-ending surgery on his left index finger. sbnation.com
Washington Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld announced Monday, April 16 that the team has signed guard Morris Almond and waived Roger Mason Jr.
Almond has spent the past four seasons in the NBA D-League, where he has averaged 24.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and shot .495 from the field in 119 career games (112 starts). He has played with the Utah Flash (2007-09), Maine Red Claws (2009-10 and 2011-12) and the Springfield Armor (2009-10).
Almond played in 29 games (28 starts) with the Red Claws in 2011-12, averaging 23.4 points and career bests in rebounds (6.0 rpg) and field goal percentage (.543). He led the D-League in scoring in 2007-08, averaging 25.6 points per game and also posted a pair of 50-point games (51 points against Austin Toros and 53 points against the Bakersfield Jam).
Almond originally entered the league as a first round pick (25th overall) with the Utah Jazz in the 2007 NBA Draft. In two seasons with the Jazz (2007-09), Almond averaged 3.1 points and 1.1 rebounds in 34 career games. He saw action with the Orlando Magic during training camp in 2009 and also played overseas with Read Madrid (Spain) in 2010, Scavolini Pesaro (Italy) in 2010-2011 and BC Cherkasy (Ukraine) in 2011. A four-year letterman at Rice University, Almond finished as the school's fourth all-time leading scorer (1,825 points) and was named Conference USA Player of the Year after averaging 26.4 points per game in his senior season.
Mason, who underwent season-ending surgery April 16 to repair an avulsion fracture in his left index finger, averaged 5.5 points and 1.3 rebounds while shooting .383 (59-154) from three-point range in 52 games for the Wizards this season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More districtchronicles News Articles
Recent districtchronicles News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DISTRICTCHRONICLES NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DISTRICTCHRONICLES NEWS
- D.C. residents back Pope on immigration crisis
- Haven’t I seen these people before
- Black chambers, hotel owners form partnership to back each other
- Metro Brief: Grosso bill to ban Pre-K suspensions, expulsions
- Metro Brief: Norton calls gun amendment ‘madness’ for nation’s capital
- Obama reaches solution between gay rights, religious freedom
- NAACP promises voter mobilization for election year battle
RECENT DISTRICTCHRONICLES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?