Stuckey hits buzzer-beater, Pistons edge Wizards 79-77
Wizards G No. 2 John Wall finished with 14 points, 9 assists and 7 rebounds in the 79-77 loss to the Pistons. FILE PHOTO
For Wizards head coach Randy Whitman, the loss to Detroit on Monday was just more of the same.
"It was a carbon copy of the last two (home) games," said Wizard's head coach Randy Whitman. "We have to get to the point where we get a lead and we don't play just to play. We have to put games away in the second half, especially in the fourth quarter. We haven't learned that yet."
The teams played it close in the first quarter, but the Wizards found a little breathing room in the second. Washington carried a 35-30 lead into the locker room at halftime. The Wizards surged in the third quarter and the Pistons trailed by 13.
Detroit managed to cut the lead to 9 going into the fourth.
Rodney Stuckey gave the Pistons their first lead of the second half when he hit a triple (74-73) with less than a minute to play.
Washington's new insider Nene tied the game at 77 with a right-handed hook over Ben Wallace with less than 10 seconds to play.
With .2 seconds on the clock, Rodney Stuckey nailed a step-back jumper over Jordan Crawford to end the game, 79-77. Stuckey finished with 24 points and 2 rebounds.
"I didn't want to force anything," Stuckey said after the game. "I was fortunate enough it went down and we were able to win the game."
"Teams keep making those runs," said Wizards guard John Wall. "We responded well but we just have to get the ball to go into the basket."
The loss marked Jordan Crawford's sixth consecutive game scoring 20 or more points.
"My teammates are taking care of me and getting me good shots," said Crawford. "The most important thing is we have to find ways to win."
The Wizards (11-38) travel to Indiana (29-19) to take on the Pacers on Thursday, March 29. Washington hosts Andre Iguodala and the Philadelphia 76ers (28-22) on Friday, March 30 at the Verizon Center. Freddie Allen/DMVAS/District Chronicles
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More districtchronicles News Articles
Recent districtchronicles News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DISTRICTCHRONICLES
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DISTRICTCHRONICLES NEWS
- Voter Fraud and Voter Suppression
- Hillary Clinton Promises to Support Black Businesses
- Harlem Program Helps Low-Income Students Reach Commanding Heights
- Trick or Treat! Top 10 Events for Kids and Adults
- A Walk Through My History
- No Time for Complacency
- First Lady Michelle Obama, Leading Black Women Clergy Condemn Trump Remarks
RECENT DISTRICTCHRONICLES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Content Agency Provides the Best Bang for Your...
- Easy Ways to Make Your Media Space More Enjoyable
- Toques modernos a la celebración tradicional del...
- Which Home Upgrades Really Pay Off?
- Reverse Mortgages Can Be a Valuable Retirement Tool
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- DePauw Student Wins $15K Scholarship to Study in New Zealand
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!