Stuckey hits buzzer-beater, Pistons edge Wizards 79-77
Wizards G No. 2 John Wall finished with 14 points, 9 assists and 7 rebounds in the 79-77 loss to the Pistons. FILE PHOTO
For Wizards head coach Randy Whitman, the loss to Detroit on Monday was just more of the same.
"It was a carbon copy of the last two (home) games," said Wizard's head coach Randy Whitman. "We have to get to the point where we get a lead and we don't play just to play. We have to put games away in the second half, especially in the fourth quarter. We haven't learned that yet."
The teams played it close in the first quarter, but the Wizards found a little breathing room in the second. Washington carried a 35-30 lead into the locker room at halftime. The Wizards surged in the third quarter and the Pistons trailed by 13.
Detroit managed to cut the lead to 9 going into the fourth.
Rodney Stuckey gave the Pistons their first lead of the second half when he hit a triple (74-73) with less than a minute to play.
Washington's new insider Nene tied the game at 77 with a right-handed hook over Ben Wallace with less than 10 seconds to play.
With .2 seconds on the clock, Rodney Stuckey nailed a step-back jumper over Jordan Crawford to end the game, 79-77. Stuckey finished with 24 points and 2 rebounds.
"I didn't want to force anything," Stuckey said after the game. "I was fortunate enough it went down and we were able to win the game."
"Teams keep making those runs," said Wizards guard John Wall. "We responded well but we just have to get the ball to go into the basket."
The loss marked Jordan Crawford's sixth consecutive game scoring 20 or more points.
"My teammates are taking care of me and getting me good shots," said Crawford. "The most important thing is we have to find ways to win."
The Wizards (11-38) travel to Indiana (29-19) to take on the Pacers on Thursday, March 29. Washington hosts Andre Iguodala and the Philadelphia 76ers (28-22) on Friday, March 30 at the Verizon Center. Freddie Allen/DMVAS/District Chronicles
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More districtchronicles News Articles
Recent districtchronicles News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DISTRICTCHRONICLES
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DISTRICTCHRONICLES NEWS
- Dylann Roof’s documents reveal racist thinking
- Whites still live in ‘state of denial’ on race
- Millennials first generation to be worse off than parents
- Councilwoman, residents outline plans for Ward 8
- Slain S.C. pastor Pinckney was ‘a giant, a legend’
- Christian coalition calls Charleston shooting assassination
- RNC calls for removal of Confederate flag from state house
RECENT DISTRICTCHRONICLES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'