Metro Brief: Radiothon raises more than $101K for needy families
District of Columbia
Howard University Radio Network’s 12-hour radiothon raised over $101,000 to feed hungry families for Thanksgiving holiday. howard.edu
The Howard University Radio Network kicked off the season of giving last week with its 36th annual Thanksgiving fundraiser, "Food2Feed." The 12-hour radiothon raised more than $101,000 to feed families in need for Thanksgiving.
WHUR 96.3 FM, the flagship station of the radio network, hosted the broadcast outside the Old Post Office Pavilion on Pennsylvania Avenue in northwest from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Listeners were encouraged to make a monetary donation or drop off non-perishable items to assist the estimated 633,000 residents in the Washington metropolitan area who are experiencing hunger. Donations poured in from corporate sponsors, elected leaders, civic organizations, social clubs and ordinary residents, all concerned about helping those less fortunate.
In addition to the monetary donations, Food2Feed also collected a tractor-trailer filled with canned goods and other non-perishable items. The donations will be used to purchase and assemble baskets of food, complete with a turkey and all the trimmings. The Capital Area Food Bank and Shabach Ministries, Inc., distributed the baskets to families in the Washington Tuesday.
"We know the dollars raised today will go a long way to help families struggling to take care of a basic necessity, like food," said Howard University Radio Network General Manager Jim Watkins. "We are very thankful for our wonderful listeners and corporate sponsors for responding in such a big way to the call for help."
Sponsorship by SunTrust Bank, Wegman's and MGM National ensured the success of Food2Feed. Additionally, support and volunteerism from students, management and staff of Howard University were the perfect combination to make this Thanksgiving special for families in need.
WHUR 96.3 FM is the flagship radio station of the Howard University Radio Network. Broadcasting since 1971 to nearly a half million listeners daily in five states, WHUR can also be heard around the globe on the web at whur.com. The first radio station in the Washington area to broadcast in high definition, WHUR is the recipient of numerous awards, including the prestigious NAB Marconi Award for Best Urban Station of the Year, an National Association of Broadcasters' Crystal Radio Award for Excellence in Community Service and a Stellar Award.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More districtchronicles News Articles
Recent districtchronicles News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DISTRICTCHRONICLES
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DISTRICTCHRONICLES NEWS
- Trio of Black women seek justice for Baltimore
- Blackonomics: Baltimore – Another horror movie rerun
- Black families must focus on asset building
- DC fire department offers free alarms following fatal blaze
- An open letter to the Supreme Court on same-sex marriage
- Blacks lag in accessing high-speed internet
- Metro Brief: County Council urges Gov. Hogan to release $20 million slated...
RECENT DISTRICTCHRONICLES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards