Metro Brief: Radiothon raises more than $101K for needy families
District of Columbia
Howard University Radio Network’s 12-hour radiothon raised over $101,000 to feed hungry families for Thanksgiving holiday. howard.edu
The Howard University Radio Network kicked off the season of giving last week with its 36th annual Thanksgiving fundraiser, "Food2Feed." The 12-hour radiothon raised more than $101,000 to feed families in need for Thanksgiving.
WHUR 96.3 FM, the flagship station of the radio network, hosted the broadcast outside the Old Post Office Pavilion on Pennsylvania Avenue in northwest from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Listeners were encouraged to make a monetary donation or drop off non-perishable items to assist the estimated 633,000 residents in the Washington metropolitan area who are experiencing hunger. Donations poured in from corporate sponsors, elected leaders, civic organizations, social clubs and ordinary residents, all concerned about helping those less fortunate.
In addition to the monetary donations, Food2Feed also collected a tractor-trailer filled with canned goods and other non-perishable items. The donations will be used to purchase and assemble baskets of food, complete with a turkey and all the trimmings. The Capital Area Food Bank and Shabach Ministries, Inc., distributed the baskets to families in the Washington Tuesday.
"We know the dollars raised today will go a long way to help families struggling to take care of a basic necessity, like food," said Howard University Radio Network General Manager Jim Watkins. "We are very thankful for our wonderful listeners and corporate sponsors for responding in such a big way to the call for help."
Sponsorship by SunTrust Bank, Wegman's and MGM National ensured the success of Food2Feed. Additionally, support and volunteerism from students, management and staff of Howard University were the perfect combination to make this Thanksgiving special for families in need.
WHUR 96.3 FM is the flagship radio station of the Howard University Radio Network. Broadcasting since 1971 to nearly a half million listeners daily in five states, WHUR can also be heard around the globe on the web at whur.com. The first radio station in the Washington area to broadcast in high definition, WHUR is the recipient of numerous awards, including the prestigious NAB Marconi Award for Best Urban Station of the Year, an National Association of Broadcasters' Crystal Radio Award for Excellence in Community Service and a Stellar Award.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More districtchronicles News Articles
Recent districtchronicles News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DISTRICTCHRONICLES
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DISTRICTCHRONICLES NEWS
- Obama responds to police on Blacks violence
- Court fails: Where do we go from here?
- Worship Marion Barry like you worship Clinton, Reagan
- Mel Watt lowers mortgage down payment requirement
- Petworth residents learn how to combat crime
- Can Religion, commerce go separate ways this Christmas?
- Blacks find ally in White Christians after grand juries failure
RECENT DISTRICTCHRONICLES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists