Metro Brief: Radiothon raises more than $101K for needy families
District of Columbia
Howard University Radio Network’s 12-hour radiothon raised over $101,000 to feed hungry families for Thanksgiving holiday. howard.edu
The Howard University Radio Network kicked off the season of giving last week with its 36th annual Thanksgiving fundraiser, "Food2Feed." The 12-hour radiothon raised more than $101,000 to feed families in need for Thanksgiving.
WHUR 96.3 FM, the flagship station of the radio network, hosted the broadcast outside the Old Post Office Pavilion on Pennsylvania Avenue in northwest from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Listeners were encouraged to make a monetary donation or drop off non-perishable items to assist the estimated 633,000 residents in the Washington metropolitan area who are experiencing hunger. Donations poured in from corporate sponsors, elected leaders, civic organizations, social clubs and ordinary residents, all concerned about helping those less fortunate.
In addition to the monetary donations, Food2Feed also collected a tractor-trailer filled with canned goods and other non-perishable items. The donations will be used to purchase and assemble baskets of food, complete with a turkey and all the trimmings. The Capital Area Food Bank and Shabach Ministries, Inc., distributed the baskets to families in the Washington Tuesday.
"We know the dollars raised today will go a long way to help families struggling to take care of a basic necessity, like food," said Howard University Radio Network General Manager Jim Watkins. "We are very thankful for our wonderful listeners and corporate sponsors for responding in such a big way to the call for help."
Sponsorship by SunTrust Bank, Wegman's and MGM National ensured the success of Food2Feed. Additionally, support and volunteerism from students, management and staff of Howard University were the perfect combination to make this Thanksgiving special for families in need.
WHUR 96.3 FM is the flagship radio station of the Howard University Radio Network. Broadcasting since 1971 to nearly a half million listeners daily in five states, WHUR can also be heard around the globe on the web at whur.com. The first radio station in the Washington area to broadcast in high definition, WHUR is the recipient of numerous awards, including the prestigious NAB Marconi Award for Best Urban Station of the Year, an National Association of Broadcasters' Crystal Radio Award for Excellence in Community Service and a Stellar Award.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More districtchronicles News Articles
Recent districtchronicles News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DISTRICTCHRONICLES NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DISTRICTCHRONICLES NEWS
- Black lawyers 25-city plan to fight police brutality
- Marching to the ballot box in the aftermath of racial turmoil
- Lincoln Motor Co., Black Greeks cement their partnership
- Metro Brief: Cancer Foundation hosts family-friendly 5K Walk/Run, health fair
- Metro Brief: County promotes walk to work annual
- Metro Brief: Seventh graders without proper immunization to be excluded from...
- “St. Patrick’s Day” march to feature gay groups
RECENT DISTRICTCHRONICLES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses