Refresh your mind and body by drinking more water
Substituting water for soft drinks is a simple way to cut calories in your diet. ARA
(ARA) - We're told that drinking water is good for our health. But do we really know why? To get the new year off to a healthy start, here are four reasons why staying hydrated can help you reach your health and lifestyle goals.
* Good hydration is as important as good nutrition
Did you know that about 30 percent of your water intake comes from food? Most diets limit your caloric intake, so remember to drink plenty of water when you are trying to lose weight.
Fitness experts have long known the benefits of water and strongly encourage their clients to drink up. "I recommend my clients always carry water with them," says "The Biggest Loser" trainer Dolvett Quince. "It keeps you hydrated and helps flush your body of excess waste."
* Stay hydrated and feel alert
According to Nutrition Today, dehydration impairs cognitive function and mood in most adults at some point throughout their weekly activities. If your goal this year is to tackle those lingering chores around the house, drinking more water can help you feel more energized.
* Swap out sugar
Substituting water for soft drinks is a simple way to cut back on your calories. There are approximately 10 packets of sugar in a 12-ounce can of soda - drinking water instead of sugary drinks could reduce your caloric intake and help you maintain a healthy weight.
* Flavor matters
When water tastes better, you drink more of it. Reusable bottles with built-in filters like the Brita Bottle filtration system makes tap water taste better and allows you to conveniently hydrate on the go.
Looking for inspiration on your journey toward better hydration? Try joining a program like the Brita Challenge, which encourages you to drink eight to 10 glasses of water per day, including one before each meal, for four weeks. Participants can also access interactive tools, tips and tricks for drinking more water from NBC's "The Biggest Loser" trainers.
"My experience with the Brita Challenge has been amazing," says "The Biggest Loser" Season 5 Contestant Bernie Salazar. "By drinking more water, I've been able to curb my appetite, help clear up my complexion and I feel more balanced inside and out."
From cutting calories to feeling more alert, simply increasing your water intake can help set you on the right course for healthy living in the new year.
Brita is a sponsor of "The Biggest Loser" - tune into NBC's "The Biggest Loser" Tuesdays at 8 p.m. EST. "The Biggest Loser" is a registered trademark and copyright of Reveille, LLC and NBC Studios, LLC. All rights reserved. No celebrity endorsement implied. The statements and claims in this release do not reflect the views of NBC.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More districtchronicles News Articles
Recent districtchronicles News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DISTRICTCHRONICLES
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DISTRICTCHRONICLES NEWS
- Take economic inequality down with the flag
- Maryland: Drop symbol of hatred off license plates
- Few African Americans elected state prosecutors
- Confederate flag comes down, all but Blacks financially prosper
- Black clergy struggles with religious liberty, discrimination
- Loretta Lynch to NAACP: ‘Our work is not finished’
- Brooks giddy about Obama’s call for prison reform
RECENT DISTRICTCHRONICLES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
- Today's Convenience Stores are Healthier and Hipper Than...
- Gadgets to Make Your Commute More Comfortable
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS