Refresh your mind and body by drinking more water
Substituting water for soft drinks is a simple way to cut calories in your diet. ARA
(ARA) - We're told that drinking water is good for our health. But do we really know why? To get the new year off to a healthy start, here are four reasons why staying hydrated can help you reach your health and lifestyle goals.
* Good hydration is as important as good nutrition
Did you know that about 30 percent of your water intake comes from food? Most diets limit your caloric intake, so remember to drink plenty of water when you are trying to lose weight.
Fitness experts have long known the benefits of water and strongly encourage their clients to drink up. "I recommend my clients always carry water with them," says "The Biggest Loser" trainer Dolvett Quince. "It keeps you hydrated and helps flush your body of excess waste."
* Stay hydrated and feel alert
According to Nutrition Today, dehydration impairs cognitive function and mood in most adults at some point throughout their weekly activities. If your goal this year is to tackle those lingering chores around the house, drinking more water can help you feel more energized.
* Swap out sugar
Substituting water for soft drinks is a simple way to cut back on your calories. There are approximately 10 packets of sugar in a 12-ounce can of soda - drinking water instead of sugary drinks could reduce your caloric intake and help you maintain a healthy weight.
* Flavor matters
When water tastes better, you drink more of it. Reusable bottles with built-in filters like the Brita Bottle filtration system makes tap water taste better and allows you to conveniently hydrate on the go.
Looking for inspiration on your journey toward better hydration? Try joining a program like the Brita Challenge, which encourages you to drink eight to 10 glasses of water per day, including one before each meal, for four weeks. Participants can also access interactive tools, tips and tricks for drinking more water from NBC's "The Biggest Loser" trainers.
"My experience with the Brita Challenge has been amazing," says "The Biggest Loser" Season 5 Contestant Bernie Salazar. "By drinking more water, I've been able to curb my appetite, help clear up my complexion and I feel more balanced inside and out."
From cutting calories to feeling more alert, simply increasing your water intake can help set you on the right course for healthy living in the new year.
Brita is a sponsor of "The Biggest Loser" - tune into NBC's "The Biggest Loser" Tuesdays at 8 p.m. EST. "The Biggest Loser" is a registered trademark and copyright of Reveille, LLC and NBC Studios, LLC. All rights reserved. No celebrity endorsement implied. The statements and claims in this release do not reflect the views of NBC.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More districtchronicles News Articles
Recent districtchronicles News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DISTRICTCHRONICLES NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DISTRICTCHRONICLES NEWS
- The 2014 Elections: What’s at stake for Blacks
- Two parents are key to raising a child
- Teach children financial lessons earlier than later
- Metro Brief: County urges residents to save time, vote early
- Metro Brief: Norton: U.S. needs more regional specialized hospitals, health...
- Conservatives insist Vatican teaching won’t change
- Black women challenge NFL on domestic violence
RECENT DISTRICTCHRONICLES CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE